Boston Consulting Group (BCG) is a global management consulting firm and the world’s leading advisor on business strategy. BCG is privately owned company with offices in more than 90 cities in 50 countries and $5 billion a year in revenue. They partner with clients in all regions to identify highest-value opportunities, address critical challenges, and transform their enterprises. BCG’s customized approach allows execution of end-to-end projects across a full spectrum of client contexts.
Using a proprietary tool called OrgBuilder, BCG is able to provide management consulting advice using real-time cloud-based analytics for large-scale client access and collaboration.
OrgBuilder is the largest custom software product utilized by Boston Consulting Group and is a core tool for their clients. Unfortunately, BCG was struggling with their existing development partner, who updated and maintained their software:
- Two years passed without a major update
- Software features did not match BCG’s requests
- Communication was frustrating and ineffective
When Geneca was asked to take over the software product we set a clear list of goals:
- Evaluate the readiness of the product to go to market.
- Get product development back on track with a series of new feature releases.
- Redesign product architecture to allow for larger clients.
- Create a new sustainable process to ensure visibility, alignment, and communication between BCG’s client’s teams.
- Help design and build BCG’s new Software Factory to bring best Agile practices for product development in-house.
What we did:
Geneca fully took over the software product development in one month. We established an improved product process while delivering 3 major and 6 minor releases in 18 months. Every release was on time and within budget. Along with these releases, we re-architected the product to updated scalable and performant technologies.
We transformed their development processes to Geneca’s proprietary flavor of Agile specifically designed for revenue-generating products. We added automated performance testing, load testing, and regression testing to improve overall product quality and increase user trust in the system. Lastly, we crafted a multi-year roadmap with budget estimates to develop a sustainable, replicable process for new feature development.
- The new OrgBuilder allows Boston Consulting Group to work with clients 5x the size.
- OrgBuilder has served over 400 clients, restructuring over 4 million employee roles to create higher performing organizations.
- BCG cut costs an average of 15-20% for the delivery of the associated consulting services.
- BCG is currently using their OrgBuilder software to reduce Whole Foods’ cost structure by $300 million as part of the Amazon-Whole Foods acquisition.